Nichole D.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

I currently live in New Mexico with my boyfriend and beautiful daughter in The Retro Palace. I'm currently a student double-majoring in Cosmetology and Architectural Drafting. I spend what little free time I have knitting, crocheting, sewing, and almost any other project I have time for. I do occasionally eat and shower, but only if there is no knitting to be done.

SavingNine on Ravelry

----------------------------


Photobucket

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Good Things Part 2

Hello there! I was holding out for some pictures, but we're having some technical difficulties with that, so you'll just have to use your imagination. On to the good things...

James and I got a car last Friday- a nice one even! It's a 2003 Kia Spectra. Very basic- no frills besides a cd player- not even automatic locks or windows. But we got an excellent deal on it. Only issue is, it's a stick shift, which I have never driven. James has been giving me lessons, but I still can't quite get the hang of it- I've only had one emotional breakdown, though, which is a good sign that I am progressing nicely! I'm really glad we can put the whole stolen car thing behind us and even come out ahead- I guess it was a bit of a blessing in disguise, although, a pretty fucked up way to start a blessing. Anyhoo.

With our new car and a little extra cash, James and I decided to take a little road trip. It started out innocently enough- just a little drive south of Albuquerque, an area of the state I really have never seen before. We ended up driving a few hours south, and spending the night in Las Cruces which is about 4-ish hours from Albuquerque. We decided the next morning to make a quick run over to El Paso, Texas to buy some clove cigarettes before we headed homewards . Long story short, driving around in the city a little lost for a while, we somehow ended up across the border in Mexico. Oopsie. It was a bit interesting, but we didn't spend much time there. When we get ahold of the pictures, I will show the loverly areas we visited!! (I know it's hard to tell by just reading my typing, but that was positively dripping with sarcasm.) We safely got back into the good ol' U S of A and started to head north. A little ways up the freeway we stopped at the White Sands Missle Range Museum- basically a little stop with a lot of cool missiles and things of that nature. A little further up, and we stopped at the White Sands National Monument. It was absolutely GEORGOUS. It was sand, as far as the eye could see- just like in the deserts you see in movies- except it was white as snow. And not that dirty side-if-the-road plowed snow, like freshly fallen, powdery soft snow. I was absolutely amazed, and so was James. I even stole some of the sand, even though your not supposed to. We will definitely be going back there someday, and if you live in New Mexico, you need to go see it of you haven't! It will blow your effin' mind, folks. BOOM. We then pretty much just drove home- but it was a really fun little vacation with some much needed relaxation and all that. I promise I'll have pictures of it up soon!

I started to knit something purple, too, for Project Spectrum. It's the Short Row Scarf, and I'm knitting it with some Lion Brand Homespun. I know, it's acrylic stuff, but I am far from a yarn-snob (hard to be when your poor) and it's soft and pretty! Anyways, I really like the pattern- it's an easy knit but gives a boring old scarf some pizzaz.

Hmmm... I think that's it for good news. Joie is getting her second tiny little tooth in, and driving her mad, which in turn drives me mad. Hopefully this will all be over soon. At least for a little while, I hope.

Yaay new car, and Viva Mexico!!!

Labels: ,

Comments on "Good Things Part 2"

 

Blogger Queen Geek said ... (8:32 AM) : 

I love White Sands! It so cool to go there during a full moon.

On the other hand, El Paso is the ugliest city in the US. I mean- bleagh. And Juarez, aside from the super cheap vanilla and the velvet Elvis paintings it's pretty bad too. Oh! And did you just love the cow smell in between Las Cruces and El Paso...nummy.

 

Blogger Cari said ... (2:35 PM) : 

Yay for new car and road trips! It's a pain to learn, but I like stick shift better.