Nichole D.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

I currently live in New Mexico with my boyfriend and beautiful daughter in The Retro Palace. I'm currently a student double-majoring in Cosmetology and Architectural Drafting. I spend what little free time I have knitting, crocheting, sewing, and almost any other project I have time for. I do occasionally eat and shower, but only if there is no knitting to be done.

SavingNine on Ravelry

----------------------------


Photobucket

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Got Gauge?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Alright. I'm a fairly new knitter, and never have really knitted anything where gauge was important. (for those non-knitterly folks out there, gauge is how tightly or loosely you knit- you should test it compared to the pattern you are doing and adjust accordingly. Sounds tedious, right? I thought so too.) Well, as you all know, I have been knitting a wrap dress for Joie. Well, today it wandered into the Realm of Finished Objects! I cast off, lovingly wove all my loose ends in, read a bunch of articles, tips, and instructions on blocking, broke out the biggest towel I could find, and started pinning. I grabbed my pattern and tape measure to make sure I blocked it out to the correct size. And then I realized the nightmare- my dress was about 2 inches bigger all around than the biggest size of the pattern ( I was working the second largest size)!! So, I pinned it out neatly and without stretching it any, and have been steam blocking it. It really isn't that big of a deal- it'll still fit her and she can really grow into it. Yes, folks, I have learned my lesson. For anything more complicated that a dishcloth or scarf, I will be knitting up a swatch and checking my gauge to avoid further mishaps like this one. On a happy note, though, I just have to finish blocking this bad boy, get all the seams stitched up, and you can see pictures! WOOHOO!



* Some of you may have noticed a few missing posts. If you are wondering where they went, I took them down because there seemed to be a complete lack of interest. If you think I am wrong, or you yourself were interested, then please email me at tbtyger@yahoo.com . If you have no clue what I am talking about, don't you worry your pretty little head.*

Labels: ,

Comments on "Got Gauge?"

 

Blogger Mama Grouch said ... (8:02 AM) : 

I have knit 4 sweaters.

1 was too short and looked like a belly shirt
1 was too wide but is now making the rounds as a maternity sweater
1 was too small in weird places which is really sad because I used REALLY EXPENSIVE merino wool
1 did a weird saggy thing around the neck while at the same time being too long and too big around

I think this had a lot to do with my knitting hiatus. I can't knit anything without a knot in my stomach about how it is going to look when I finish it. I hate gauge. I really really hate it.

 

Blogger KnitPastis said ... (1:33 PM) : 

At least you block your knitted items where as I don't. I know I should. Can't wait to see it!!