Nichole D.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

I currently live in New Mexico with my boyfriend and beautiful daughter in The Retro Palace. I'm currently a student double-majoring in Cosmetology and Architectural Drafting. I spend what little free time I have knitting, crocheting, sewing, and almost any other project I have time for. I do occasionally eat and shower, but only if there is no knitting to be done.

SavingNine on Ravelry

----------------------------


Photobucket

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Good Reads

Well, I finally finished reading Ayn Rand's "Fountainhead". I really enjoyed it! It was a long book, but well written. I found that I had to devote my full attention to it, not really a book I could pick up anywhere where there would be distractions. It drew me in every time I picked it up, though! I really enjoyed the story and it made me think about how I look at things. I would definitely reccomend it if you enjoy a slower paced read- this is not really a book for one who soley enjoys the novels of today, with lots of action. This book does come with lots of conflict, though- like a well written soap opera (I know, that sounds like an oxymoron). All in all, I would give this book a seven out of ten.

Yesterday I recieved one of a duo of long-awaited packages of books I ordered over a month ago. Both seemed to get lost in the black hole of the Post Office, but one finally made it to my door! It included "Coraline" bt Neil Gaiman and "The Wee Free Men" and " A Hat Full of Sky" by Terry Pratchett. Now, I cannot go on without saying that Neil Gaiman is by far my favorite author, rivaled only by Joyce Carol Oates. Every book of his I have ever read I have loved immensely. I would (and do!) reccommend him to every reader and some non-readers I have ever met. If you have never heard of him, take yourself to the library or book store and give him a try. He is great! I even road tripped (about 5 months pregnant) the 7 hours to Denver with a fellow Gaiman lover for a book signing last summer. Anyways, on with the story...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I read "Coraline" today in a matter of hours. It is a young adult novel, but it is wonderfully written and eery. It gave me a few tingles and shivers, but it isn't really scary in a horror movie kind of way. Shiny black buttons will never look the same to me! I really hope that if you rever get the chance to read this, you do, because it is truly amazing. All I can say is that it is yet another Gaiman book that I'm adding to my list of "books I love".

Next on my reading list: "A Night in the Lonesome October" by Roger Zelazny. My dear friend is engaged to the author's son, and that is how I came upon this one. James loved it, and says I should read it right away! I'll let you know what I think of it.

On the thought of books, are there any books that you have read that you absolutely love, and think everyone should read?

Labels:

Comments on "Good Reads"

 

Blogger Queen Geek said ... (9:04 AM) : 

Oooh Nichole! We should make Other Mother dolls! Wouldn't that be fun?!?

On another note, even though I already read Anansi Boys, I rented the audio book. It's great! The guy who reads it is brilliant!

Okay. Enough out of me.

 

Blogger Mama Grouch said ... (6:48 PM) : 

I LOVE TERRY PRATCHETT!

I own every discworld novel he has written and re-read them every couple of years. I enjoyed Good Omens but never got into Neil Gaiman after that. The book cover you posted does look interesting, I may have to give him another go. You didn't say whether you had read anything else by Terry, I would suggest keeping in mind that "The Wee Free Men" and "Hat" are both geared towards young adults in the same way that Harry Potter is - incredibly appealing to all ages but slightly young-ish in content. I still loved them and think that the Wee Free Men are my favorite characters of all time.

Suggestions? How about Tad Williams "Otherland" series? 4 of the best books I have ever read.

 

Blogger LadyLinoleum said ... (2:08 PM) : 

Coraline is sitting on my shelf and I'm going to pick that up next.

Oh and I love both Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Awesome.

One of my all-time faves is Dune. Also, I really loved Kushiel's Dart. Also, different genre...God of Small Things and The Red Tent. Oh and Perdido Street Station rocked too....