Nichole D.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

I currently live in New Mexico with my boyfriend and beautiful daughter in The Retro Palace. I'm currently a student double-majoring in Cosmetology and Architectural Drafting. I spend what little free time I have knitting, crocheting, sewing, and almost any other project I have time for. I do occasionally eat and shower, but only if there is no knitting to be done.

SavingNine on Ravelry

----------------------------


Photobucket

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Fiber Love

About a week ago, I won a skein of Malabrigo yarn from the stash of L. over at Is It Time To Knit Yet? and I got it a few days ago. I have never really seen this yarn, mostly because I am a really cheap knitter and I think shelling out ten bucks for a skein of yarn is silly. As a direct effect of my cheapness, I tend to stay out of high-priced yarn stores where I could stumble upon this skein of Uruguayan beauty. Okay, sure, I've heard about it here and there on my daily stroll through Knitbloggia, read about it's lush softness and gourgeous colors, but c'mon! TEN BUCKS A SKEIN?! No yarn can really be worth that much, right? I mean, damn, it's just sheep fur! Wrong. This yarn is worth it and then some. It really is buttery soft. The colors really are magnificent. The handspun, hand-dyed yarn is delicious. Well, not that I actually tasted it, but if it tasted the way it looked, I bet it would taste like the best cheesecake in the world. Smothered with fresh raspberry sauce. With dark chocolate on the side. And a really big glass of excellent red wine. Served by some really hot, shirtless, musclebound man with a really sexy accent and olive skin and peircing green eyes and... well, I think you get the picture. I am so glad I won this yarn, because had I not, I might never have been exposed to it, and I will definitely be buying more in the future. So, what is to become of this lone skein of lovely? I'm making it into a cabled scarf- the Double Cable Scarf from One Skein, if you were wondering. I should have approximately 75 yards left when I am done- any pattern suggestions for the leftovers? Otherwise I may just knit it into a little square to carry in my purse to rub against my cheek when I'm having a bad day. so, onto the next thing... What? You want some pictures? Oh, well, I suppose you can have a few...


Malabrigo Velvet Grapes II

Malabrigo Velvet Grapes III

Pretty, huh? And really, the pictures don't do it justice. So if you're a fiber lover, go buy some. If you're not, go buy some and send it to me. I'm off to go lovingly fondle this jewel of a yarn some more.

Labels: ,

Comments on "Fiber Love"

 

Blogger Lauren said ... (5:50 AM) : 

I'm glad you like it, can't wait to see the scarf!

 

Blogger Autumn said ... (7:57 AM) : 

Ya know...it's really a personal opinion- but I stick to purchasing high quality yarns. Granted- they're more expensive- but the key word is "quality". I used to feel a little guilty buying such a luxury item...but my mom said it best- you put in the same amount of time wether you knit with cheap or higher quality yarn- so why not spend a few bucks to have a better quality project that could last a few generations. The yarn even knits better on the needles and holds it's shape better- your projects tend to just "look" better- it's a wise choice. What's the point of knitting a beautiful pattern- that'll take you 3 weeks to do- and knit it with super cheap yarn? Go to the specialty yarn stores- many times they have great sales and not all quality yarns are super expensive! Have fun with your luxurious red velvety yarn- you will love, love, love working with it!

 

Blogger Queen Geek said ... (8:05 AM) : 

Puuurdy!!!!!